STATUS OF EURASIAN WATER-MILFOIL IN SQUASH LAKE

Eurasian Water-milfoil photos from Stephanie Boismenue


Eurasian Water-Milfoil Update – August 16, 2009

Eurasian Water-milfoil has been found in Squash Lake. On the map below, Xs are where this weed has been found growing on the shore line.

Squash Lake residents got a jump on their volunteer hours, for our grant, during an EWM removal effort on August 8 in front of Greg Nevinski’s house on the southwest shore of the main lake. Coordinated by Stephanie Boisemenue, 19 people pulled EWM for three hours.

There are many different ways to potentially eliminate the Eurasian Water-Milfoil from Squash Lake and selecting the best treatment method that is suitable for the lake is complex, to say the least. Kevin Gauthier, who is the DNR’s Lake Management Coordinator, is guiding the Squash Lake Board of Directors and Community every step of the way. Kevin’s knowledge and attention to detail has been reassuring to us that we are doing the best for our lake.

Before we can select the most suitable treatment option, a complex and comprehensive study of the lake’s aquatic plant community and ecosystem must be completed. This will be completed by Kevin, his staff, and professional consultants. In the mean time, DO Not Pull Any More Weeds from the lake!!! Every plant needs to stay in place until the comprehensive plant survey is done!!

Grant Money:

Squash Lake qualifies for the State of Wisconsin’s AIS Early Detection and Rapid Response Grant. This grant has a cap up to $20,000.00. The state pays for 75% of the cost of the project and the remaining 25% will be provided by the Squash Lake Association in the form of cash, time, services or “in-kind” items. Grants operate on a reimbursement basis and we may request an advance of up to 25%.

The Grants are Provided For:

#1 Early identification and control of pioneer populations of Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS). They are for waters where the presence of AIS is relatively new and the area of coverage is limited, such that there is a high likelihood that they can be removed or significantly reduced and managed at low densities.
#2 Controlling pioneer population that are small and localized colonies and have been present less than 5 years and is less than 5 acres in size or less than 5% of a lakes area, which ever is greater.
#3 To help pay for field work performed by a professional lake management consultant that we, the SLA, hire. These consultants specialize in gathering data about our lake by developing a point- intercept surveys (grid), mapping EWM colonies, mapping lake-wide aquatic plants communities, and monitoring water quality. The data will be used to statistically evaluate the effectiveness of EWM treatment. The consultants also write grants and assist with developing lake management plans.

Kevin recommends that we obtain the lakes data now:

#1 – The aquatic plant mapping should be done now- due to aquatic plant growth, it is best done by the end of August. Kevin provided us with a resource of professional lake management consultants.
#2 – Obtaining an Point-intercept Grid Survey. Kevin informed me that he and his staff will be able to do the survey the week of August 31st.
#3 – We also need to provide Kevin with the Squash Lake Association By- Laws as needed for the grant.

Once the above information is gathered, we will discuss the best option for treating the milfoil and develop a management plan.

DO Not Pull Any Weeds from the lake!!!
Every plant needs to stay in place until a comprehensive plant survey is done!!

Thank you for your time and I will keep you posted.
Stephanie Boismenue,
Squash Lake’s AIS Coordinator